I love being around the rational-minded. I don’t like being around jerks. Within the skeptical community I’ve encountered some of the most awesomely cool people I’ve ever met in my life. People who inspire me to be a better person. I’ve also met some people who came across as cynical, pretentious, vindictive, holier-than-thou, smug, pedantic, rude, judgmental, condescending, militant, patronizing, and sanctimonious.
…in other words, the dicks.
Now, with The Amaz!ng Meeting coming up I know some of you are wondering “Melissa, how do I know if I’m a dick? Please help me O Wise One.” Well I’d be glad to, dearheart. I’ve put together a list of signs – the telltale symptoms that dickery might be endemic to your nature. Get a pen & paper. If you score higher than 80%, I’m sorry to inform you TAM has been cancelled.
Some signs you might be a dick:
- You feel surrounded by idiots and you can’t help letting them know the truth now & again.
- You don’t trust the people around you, and they don’t trust you.
- You secretly enjoy watching people suffer & squirm.
- You feel compelled to make a case to defend the use of vitriol and venom.
- You think people who don’t think like you are weak, stupid or pussies.
- You frequently point out people’s mistakes.
- You act as if the rules don’t apply to you.
- You really believe it’s that simple.
- You think you have all the answers.
- You justify your behavior by saying “they started it”.
- You see organized skepticism as an us vs them war.
- You enjoy taking people down.
- You find you just can’t contain your contempt for believers.
- You find it useful to mock or insult them, otherwise they never seem to learn.
- You enjoy lobbing out “innocent” comments that serve no purpose other than to humiliate or cause discomfort to the person on the receiving end.
- You have a small list of close friends and a long list of enemies, and you are equally proud of both lists.
Now I know most of you reading this are awesome, nice people and NOT dicks. But if you are a dick, it doesn’t really matter because the rest of us will be spending most of our time avoiding you.